Home » Temporary Skilled Work Visas

What is the visa service?

The 482 Visa and the 400 Visa are common choices for organisations wishing to bring required skills in quickly for imperative projects. The 482 Visa provides a longer term option and pathway to permanent Residency (PR), whilst the 400 Visa is designed for short term projects.


  • Granted for candidates with specialized skills, knowledge or experience that can help Australian business and can’t reasonably be found in Australia
  • Ideal for short to medium term project-based work to connect talent and businesses with speed
  • The 400 visa is catered to short-term project work, offering the quickest entry and a permitted stay of three months, but up to six months if supported by a strong business case
  • The 482 visa requires employer sponsorship and candidates must be nominated to work in an occupation included in either the short-term or medium term skilled occupations lists.


  • These visas are ideally suited for project work and offer quick approvals to mobilise workers.
  • The 400 visa is the quickest option to secure short-term workers and is a very inexpensive visa option that doesn’t require employer sponsorship.
  • Sponsorship of candidates on the medium term stream of the 482 visa allows a pathway to permanent residency


A TSS visa is a temporary visa which lets an employer sponsor a suitably skilled worker to fill a position they can’t find a suitably skilled Australian to fill. It involves three stages:

  • Standard business sponsorship – for the Australian company to become an approved sponsor
  • Nomination – for the company to nominate a position
  • Visa – for the visa applicant to prove they have the right skillsets to do the job

A subclass 400 visa is called Temporary work (Short Stay Activity) which is for overseas to do short-term, highly specialised and non-ongoing work in Australia.

A subclass 482 visa is for Australian or overseas employers to sponsor skilled overseas workers to fulfil the skills shortage in a temporary capacity. For any ongoing work, you should consider employer nominated visa programmes.

Currently, the advised processing times are approximately 3-4 weeks. Processing times may vary on a case-by-case scenario.

Since 12 August 2018, employers sponsoring workers for a TSS 482 visa must pay for a training levy that is known as the Skilling Australians Fund levy. The levy is payable each time when lodging a nomination application. This cost must be covered by the company and cannot be transferred to a third party.

Businesses with turnover of less than $10 million per year are considered small business and businesses with turnover of $10 million or more per year are defined as large business:

  • Small business: $1,200 for each visa year
  • Large business: $1,800 for each visa year

As a Standard Business Sponsor and as part of your sponsorship obligations, you must notify Immigration upon the cessation of employment for your 482 or 457 visa holders

As the employee, you must complete one of the following actions within 60 days from when you finish working with your sponsor:

  • Find another approved sponsor to nominate you
  • Be granted a different visa, or
  • Depart Australia

Yes, dependant family unit members such as partners and children under the age of 18 years can be included on the application. Dependants aged 18 to 23 years can be included provided they are substantially dependant for their basic needs, such as full time students.

Yes. A secondary 482 or 457 visa holder has work rights with no limitations.

No, visa applicants must remain offshore at the time of the application for the 400 visa, and until a decision is reached.

What Our Customers

Are Saying

What Our Customers Are Saying

Download our Migration Services fact sheet.

Latest articles and resources