Migration FAQs

Q. Do I need a job offer to work in Australia on a Temporary Skill Shortage – TSS 482 Visa?

A. In most cases yes. Applicants for Australia’s long-term work visa, the Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) – Visa Subclass 482, need a job offer from an employer approved to sponsor and employ skilled workers from overseas. The Subclass 482 will be replaced by a new work visa in March 2018. You may also be eligible to apply for a Working Holiday Visa, which does not require a job offer and allows you to work for any one employer for a six month period.

Q. What happens if I stop working for my sponsor?

A. If you stop working for your sponsor you will have 60 days to either:

  • lodge a new nomination with another sponsor
  • apply for a different class of visa (if eligible to do so)
  • depart Australia

If you do not do any of the above within 60 days you may be in breach of Condition 8107 and your visa could be cancelled. Note: This was 90 days prior to 19 November 2016. 60 days is not a long time to change employers, and given the current processing times is it advisable to wait before giving notice as 482 visa holders are permitted to work through their notice period prior to commencing work with their new employer. You can do this even after the new nomination is approved.

Q. I have a 24 year old child who is a student that I would like to include in my visa application. Is that OK?

A. Children will only be granted a 482 visa until their 23rd birthday

Q. If I apply for a 482 visa now how long will it be valid for?

A. This depends on your nominated occupation. Since April 2017 there are two new occupation lists- STSOL and MLTSSL. If your occupation is on the STSOL you will be eligible for a two year 482 visa or if your occupation is on the MLTSSL you will be eligible for a four year 482 visa.

Q. Do I have to provide criminal record checks with my 482 visa application?

A. Yes from 1 July 17 visa applicants must provide criminal record checks for all countries they have resided in for 12 months or more over the last 10 years. These record checks are required before the visa is assessed.

Q. Do I need a degree or trade qualification to be successful with a 482 visa application?

A. The qualifications required for a 482 visa depend on the nominated occupation. In many cases relevant work experience can be claimed in place of a qualification. Detailed employment references are extremely important to verify your employment history.

Q. I have a medical problem. Will that affect my application?

A. It depends on the visa being applied for, the medical condition and long term prognosis. It is very important that you discuss any health issues before we commence work on an application for you. We will discuss the best strategy in the written assessment we provide.